Monday, September 15, 2008

Now that's serious talent!

Yesterday's static stats:
Running: 1 hour 10 minutes- approx. 8mi. (amazingly hot!)
Yoga: the hardest class I've ever been to in my life
Cupcake consumption: 1

Here I am back at the running thing. I should say "structured running thing." Now that I have my yoga discount card aka: student i.d., I am commited to going to yoga 2x a week when possible. I love yoga. The mind connecting to movement is the perfect formula of meditation and thoughtfulness that my mind and body craves. If you've experienced it then you know what I mean, if you haven't then you should try it out. If you do try it out, it takes time to get there. Its very similar to a runner's high. A runner's high takes a certain amount of training for most before it can be acheived. The same is true with yoga. I've been practicing on and off for the past 7 years. My initial thought regarding yoga were: I'd be bored, I would pull a hamstring, I would laugh, fart or otherwise embarrass myself. I've done all of those...except farting...at least at the audible level however not at the olfactory level. Yesterday I had my very first laughing experience. My yoga instructor announced at the beginning of class that she is four months pregnant. Well, this superstar instructor is the superstar of them all. Maybe she wasn't a superstar instructor, but a superstar yogini herself. I've been to many a yoga class that was over my head, but I made do. This one was ridiculous. Seriously the hardest thing ever. At one point in class she did a cirque du' soleia style move as she instructed us to do the same. The instruction was given as if she had asked us to lie down in savasana (corpse pose). I laughed out loud and then couldn't stop. I had to bury my head. The worst part was that my dear friend A was practicing on the mat beside me. I hope the instructor wasn't too annoyed. She kept saying while looking our direction, "your in the right class. This is a level one and two class. I'll make suggestions and you can do them or not." Clearly not the right class, but seriously sister you've got talent!

No comments: